Monday 29 April 2013

Starting out...


I began experimenting with paper cut outs using images not related to the book, partly because the emphasis would be on the technique, and partly so I could further develop my FMP before adapting the images to add cut outs and pop ups.
I started experimenting with layering up different parts of the same image to create a 3D effect, cutting out the same areas of an image and layering on top of each other using sticky foam pads. I used a photo of a landscape with lots of layers and sections to it - a photo of my garden in fact - and printed it out multiple times. i then cut out around the different layers and sections, sticking them on top of each other to build up the scene. 



This worked, but didn’t have a dramatic 3D effect, so I think i would need to try again using multiple layers for each section of the image to create a bigger gap between each section, and perhaps sticking multiple foam pads on top of each other to create a larger gap in between each layer. This would add a lot more depth to the image and would create a more 3D effect.

To extend this experiment, i decided to do a rough drawing of the image and try layering this too in order to see how this would work as an illustration. I didn't spend long on the sketch as I wanted to concentrate on the cutting and layering technique. 
I found that by simplifying the image for this technique it has more depth, and the separate layers are more obvious, however I still had the same problem as before where the image does not have a dramatic 3D effect. I think using thicker card or paper, and using more of the sticky foam pads would help with this though


No comments:

Post a Comment