Monday 29 April 2013

Interactive Books

I wanted to look at other interactive children's books on the market and found a huge selection, however one that really stood out was the Maisy Mouse series by Lucy Cousins. To go with her books, she also sells books with pop up and tabs so that children can play with the book and be involved. 
The techniques used are reasonably simple, but have been carefully chosen so they fit perfectly with the story and the page layout. The interactive parts are also easy for a young child to use which is incredibly important, as the novelty of being able to make the characters move would be completely lost on a child if they needed an adult to do it for them. Part of the wonder children have for these types of book is that they are the ones making the character move.




She has also released a massively varied collection of merchandise, but I particularly wanted to focus on the paper craft items.
"Maisy's Farm" is a "carousel" book that opens out to be a 3D paper farm yard, with plenty of paper cut out objects for maisy to play with. 
I had bought this book for my nephew, and he had a great deal of fun playing with it. The only drawback of the book seemed to be that, inevitably, over time the pieces go missing and get ripped and broken. Paper cut out toys like this are simple games that children really love playing with, but they are made in a very delicate material and so they are not made to last, and I when I produce my work I will have to consider ways of making my products sturdy and able to survive this

Photos from Clare Vincent Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clairevincent/6944294296/

No comments:

Post a Comment