Monday 29 April 2013

Stand-Up Card Characters

I found that making cut out dolls using some of my character designs was inspiring. I had been thinking of making paper dolls with outfits you could swap to fit with my theme of make believe and imagination, and i found that even just printing the figures onto thick paper and cutting them out was effective. They had a nice effect by standing on their own instead of just being printed on paper, and I think having some kind of paper doll that can stand up is an effective product to accompany my book.






These cut out characters can be used as simply a decoration - table decorations at a children's party perhaps? Or a way of decorating a child's bedroom shelves? - but they also have an interactive element to them. Given to a child they could be used as a doll or a toy, especially if I made them into a set with other characters and objects. 


I could create a set of these dolls using the final character design from my book, perhaps the same character in different positions and postures. I could also use this technique to make the scenery from my book so children could use the dolls to play out scenes from my book. 
This idea is both decorative and interactive, and so I think it would be ideal to make alongside my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment