Monday 29 April 2013

Concertina Image


The next technique I tried was creating one long image that folded up like a concertina to make the layers of a shorter image. 
Using the sketches of buildings and statues I had done on a trip to Edinburgh, I drew one long image (by sticking together pieces of paper) and then cut out around them. I folded the paper into four pieces - I had planned out where the folds would be whilst drawing to make sure none of the buildings would be folded in half - which made one city skyline made up of lots of layers.

You initially look at the image as one short image with a lot of layers, but as you fold out the book you can see all the individual parts as one long city skyline


This idea was inspired by books I had as a child where the front cover acts as a frame of an image, and each time you turn a page you are taking away one layer of the illustration. It is a technique I can develop and reuse with some of the scenery of my book, and perhaps adapt this into a book format. It certainly is a way to make an image more interesting, and provides the viewer with a way of interacting with the image. 
This experiment was a hand drawn prototype, however using print outs of other illustrations I can try out this technique with other images.

No comments:

Post a Comment