Monday 29 April 2013

Project Outline


This blog will follow my “Research Project” for my third year studying Illustration at University of Gloucestershire.
For this project, I really want to experiment with mixing 2D images with 3D art. This has a huge range of outcomes, such as origami, paper sculptures, cut out paper dolls, sillhouettes etc. I am particularly interested in paper crafts, as this has such a strong link with the illustration I am 
To begin with, my objective for this project was to simply make 3D illustrations using paper cut outs, however I wanted it to link directly with my FMP project on children’s illustration. I have decided to make another version of my children’s book, only using cut outs and pop ups to enhance the images. I want to use lots of different techniques rather than limiting myself to just pop ups or just lift the flap pages, so my aim is to try out a diverse range of techniques. Although I am planning on hand making my book for this project, I will need to research how I would get a book like this mass produced and the cost involved as obviously it is more difficult and more expensive to produce a book with lots of moving parts.
I can also look at other ways of making my FMP 3D and interactive, such as making games and objects to match my book. 
The theme of my FMP children's book is the impossible things children want to be when they grow up, so I can also link that to this projects by looking at things like fancy dress and the games children play. I can incorporate this into my research project by using the characters from my book, and by making card games etc. using the things children want to be 
Some of the questions I will need to ask myself throughout this project are:
  • What other techniques and methods can I use to display my work?
  • What formats can I use for my work alongside a book?
  • What are appropriate and effective paper toys/items that can be given to children with a book?
  • How can I make my book interactive?
  • How can I make an image 3D?
  • How does putting an image or illustration into a different format change how it is used/viewed?



No comments:

Post a Comment